The Spider Plant is the quintessential classic house plant. Easy to look after, fast growing and can tolerate some neglect. Most commonly known as Spider Plants, Chlorophytum comosum are also called airplane plant, St. Bernard's lily, spider ivy, ribbon plant and even hen & chickens!
Spider Plants are often displayed in hanging baskets or in pots on small stands allowing the baby spiders to cascade around the plant. Spider plants are proven to reduce indoor air pollution, particularly formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, and other volatile organic compounds.
There are a number of varieties to choose from:
- The timeless classic is Vittatum. Now adding a touch of retro chic to modern living. It has slender, bright green leaves, with a broad, creamy-white stripe down the centre.
- Variegatum is a newer, more compact variety gaining in popularity. It has narrow, dark green leaves, edged with white stripes.
- Chlorophytum comosum Bonnie is a very modern variety with similar variegation to Vittatum but with wonderful, curly leaves.
- Chlorophytum comosum Ocean has creamy margins and a green centre, similar to Variegatum.
- Chlorophytum orchidastrum Green Orange is a distant cousin to the traditional varieties. It has a fiery heart of orange stems.